Some highlights from the latest Nielsen Social Media Report – relevant reading for anyone involved in online marketing
I’m often asked by clients about the value and relevance of Social Media in their day-to-day business activities. We’ve got some very neat ways of measuring the success of your Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn posts, but here are some recent headlines from Nielsen that make for some interesting reading. (The figures were collated in the US but they are relevant to the UK market as well).
- In America, social networks and blogs account for about 25% of viewer’s time online
- Roughly 4 out of 5 internet users visit social networks and blogs
- Americans spend more time on Facebook than any other US website
- 40% of social media users access social media content from their smartphones
- Social networking apps are the third most used apps by smartphone users
- Internet users over 55 are driving the growth of social media on smartphones
- Video streaming from social networking sites is on the increase
- Active social networkers are more likely to buy online than people who don’t use social networks
- 53% of adult social networkers follow a brand
So social media continues to grow, but most importantly it’s connecting with the majority of web users with just about everything they do online.
You can view the full Nielsen Report here.